Thursday, October 16, 2008

Newcastle Diary

Days of "hanging around"

Newcastle is one of North England's picturesque cities. The city has two well known universities - University of Newcastle and Northumberland University. Therefore it has a huge student population. Live, vibrant and full of activity, there is not a dull moment at any time here. On one of my frequent walks to the Eldon Square (the hub of all activity), I was enthralled by a group of Spanish musicians, playing their spangled flutes and guitars. I looked around to see a sea of humanity from all walks of life - waiters, men dressed in smart suits, college students, chic looking beauticians, and old couples, stopping for a while and loosing themselves in music.

Life here is not too fast and relaxed, and everything from shops to offices shut down at 5 pm, so different from noisy, fast, never sleeping Mumbai. What I like the best here is that I have the time to read, hang around art galleries, critiquing paintings and landscape. After all, I have not been doing much of "hanging around" since I left college and joined the big, bad corporate world. So for now, I am loving this new found hobby.

That's all for now, folks.

Promise that I will get some more scoop on Newcastle and its being the "party capital of Europe" soon.

Cheers!

No comments: